Kendra Tupper, P.E., is a Former Principal within RMI’s Buildings Practice and has 10 years of experience in project management, whole building energy simulation, HVAC design and controls, energy audits for existing buildings, and design and analysis for renewable energy systems.
At RMI, Kendra has combined project management and technical expertise to drive many deep retrofit projects, including the Empire State Building and the Byron Rogers Federal Office Building. She has also partnered with the General Services Administration and large energy service companies (ESCOs) to develop workshops and participate in pilot projects that redefine the typical ESCO model to realize deeper energy savings.
In addition to her work in the built environment, Kendra also has experience in industrial process efficiency, best practices for data center design and operation, and the use of lightweight composite materials in the automotive sector.
Kendra currently chairs the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Energy Position Document Committee, serves on the ASHRAE Technical Committee 7.6 (Building Energy Performance), and is an active member of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA). Kendra frequently presents and leads workshops at the National ASHRAE Conference and recently lead 3 workshops and seminars at Building Energy 2013. Kendra’s presentation topics range from achieving cost effective deep retrofits to Reinventing Fire - RMI’s strategic roadmap for getting the U.S. off of coal, oil, and nuclear by the year 2050. She also teaches professional training courses on many technical topics including energy modeling, life cycle cost analysis, and deep energy retrofits.
- Master of Science, Building Systems Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 2005
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Dartmouth College, 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, Engineering Science modified with Environmental Studies, Dartmouth College, 2002
- Professional Engineer - Mechanical, State of Colorado, 2009
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED® Accredited Professional, Building Design & Construction
- ASHRAE Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP)
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA)
- Bonneville Power IT TAG: A technical advisory group (TAG) for Bonneville Power which will scan, screen, and score the most promising technologies for In-Building Data Centers.
- “Optimal Building Designs on the Path to Zero Net Energy,” C. Christensen, G. Barker, and K. Tupper, Proceedings of the Solar 2004 Conference, American Solar Energy Society, pp. 883-888, (2004).
- “Optimization of Hybrid Village Power System Operation,” K. Tupper, R. Jensen, J. Cloyd, C. Sullivan, and R. Wills, ASME Solar 2004 Conference Proceedings, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2004).
- Tupper, Kendra and Jan Kreider: A Life Cycle Analysis of Hydrogen Production for Buildings and Vehicles, in Life-Cycle Analysis Tools for "Green" Materials and Process Selection, edited by Stella Papasavva, Vasilis Fthenakis (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 895, Warrendale, PA, 2006), 0895-G02-04.
- “Life Cycle Impacts and External Costs for Various Hydrogen Pathways,” K. Tupper and J. Kreider, Proceedings of the Solar 2006 Conference, American Solar Energy Society, 2004.
- “Pulling the Levers on Existing Buildings: A Simple Method for Calibrating Hourly Energy Models.” D. Hubler, K. Tupper, and E. Greensfelder, ASHRAE Transactions, Volume 116, Part 2, Available here.
- “Energy Modeling At Each Design Phases: Strategies to Minimize Design Energy Use,” K. Tupper and C. Fluhrer, Proceedings of the 2010 Simbuild Conference, International Building Performance Simulation Association (2010), Available here.
- “Life Cycle Cost Analysis: Is it Worth the Effort?.” A. Buys, K. Tupper, and M. Bendewald, ASHRAE Transactions, Volume 117, Part 1, Available here.
- “BEM Innovation Summit Pre-Read,” K. Tupper, RMI White Paper, 2011, Available here.
- “Collaborate and Capitalize: Post-Report from the BEM Innovation Summit,” K. Tupper, RMI Workshop Report, 2011, Available here.
- “Right Steps for Retrofits: Byron G. Rogers Federal Office Building Case Study,” K. Tupper, N. Hammer, R. Osbaugh, and M. Swanson, ASHRAE Transactions, Volume 118, Part 2.
- “Kickstarting the Widespread Adoption of Automotive Carbon Fiber Composites: Key Findings and Next Steps,” G. Rucks, J. Agenbroad, K.Tupper, S. Doig, RMI Workshop Report, 2013, Available here.