RMI has occupied this building, located at 1820 Folsom Street in Boulder, Colorado, since February 2008. The 9,600 sq. ft. main building and a smaller annex provide office and conference space for approximately 65 employees. RMI research and consulting teams and members of the administration, finance, development, and communications staff currently occupy the building.
In February of 2009, the building received a LEED Platinum Commercial Interiors certification. Platinum is the highest rating given by the U.S. Green Building Council through its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system for green buildings. The office was designed and constructed with the intention of showcasing tangible and affordable sustainable building strategies, including:
- Replacing 90 percent of windows with high-performance windows
- Installing new skylights, coordinated with daylight controls, energy-efficient ambient and task lighting, and high-reflective surfaces
- Using ENERGY STAR office equipment
- Installing programmable thermostats with temperature setbacks
- Replacing exterior incandescent lamps with energy-efficient lighting
In addition to targeting energy use, the design incorporated healthy, regional, reused, and recycled-content materials. A collection of new restroom and kitchen water fixtures reduce water use by 56 percent compared to the LEED baseline.
Read complete details about the retrofit project.
1820 Folsom Street
Boulder, CO 80302
P: (303) 245-1003