Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a Principal who can lead RMI’s research and collaboration (R&C) efforts in disruptive innovation, with a focus on distributed electricity resources including solar photovoltaic. The successful individual will be capable of driving a diverse portfolio of projects that includes both technical and market-focused elements, with a strong understanding of innovative business models, project finance, and manufacturing value drivers.
RMI’s Principals are senior management positions responsible for building and developing successful, high-impact programs. Our Principals lead research teams and partner with collaborators to develop, pilot, and scale successful solutions to the world’s toughest energy challenges. Our organizational goal is to create a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
- Define a compelling strategy to accelerate the adoption of distributed clean energy solutions together with fellow Principals and Managing Directors.
- Shape and deliver strategy program elements, coordinating small teams to deliver objectives.
- Oversight of teams includes some “roll-up your sleeves” work in nearly all projects, driving thought-leadership and execution through charismatic example.
- Perform business development, including philanthropic fundraising support, government grant management, and direct company fee-for-service project development.
- Develop and enhance Rocky Mountain Institute’s public reputation through regular publication, speaking, and external engagement on key topics critical to program success.
- Manage existing and propose future program budgets.
- Support development of team members and Institute through active involvement in leadership activities.
- Effectively communicate activities internally at RMI, including close coordination with other RMI electricity practice Principals and other staff.
- Support Managing Directors in interactions with RMI board.
- Intense curiosity and creativity
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Excellent quantitative analysis and modeling skills
- Excellent writing skills and visual presentation capability
- Strong verbal communication skills, from one-on-ones to speeches
- Interest in and solid track record of people development
- Skills and desire to change client’s and decision-maker’s minds on intensely important issues
- A passion for making the world better
- Willingness to travel up to 33% of time
Education and Experience
- Master degree-equivalent or higher, with significant studies in both technology (science/engineering) and markets (business/finance) preferred.
- Demonstrated core knowledge of electricity markets.
- Demonstrated professional experience with distributed electrical energy resources, preferably with a strong background in solar photovoltaic and/or storage technologies.
- 10 years of professional experience in related fields.
- Direct management experience developing and managing highly skilled teams with peer-level capability.
- Experience managing budgets larger than $1MM.
- Experience in energy development and/or finance.
- Experience in launching and managing new business activities.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.