Erik Fowler is a Manager of Research & Collaboration programs at RMI in Boulder, Colorado. Erik works across the RMI practice areas of electricity, buildings, and communities. His current major focus area is working with community- and state-led energy and climate planning initiatives that seek to scale up renewable energy and energy efficiency in the pursuit of their planning goals.
Prior to joining RMI, Erik worked at ICF International in their Energy & Environment group supporting implementation of one of the largest and most successful utility energy efficiency programs in the U.S., and while leading efforts to scale adoption in the commercial real estate and federal/DOD sectors. Erik also has prior experience with expanding green building and energy efficiency initiatives in Texas, working with local and State leaders, developers, real estate brokerages, and builders - particularly in Houston - to build market awareness and early adoption; and while serving on the Board of Directors of the Gulf Coast Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council. Like RMI, Erik has a keen eye for private sector engagement opportunities, owing to his early adult experience of co-owning, operating and selling a successful IT/Internet startup firm.
Erik continues to track and study local, state and national energy policies; as well as energy efficiency and distributed solar technologies and markets (the latter was the focus of his prior graduate work). Erik led a recent effort at RMI to publish RMI’s Community Energy Resource Guide that provides community and city leaders with analytical and process tools, along with leading case studies and successful pilot programs in the U.S. of renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives. Erik has a core strength and interest in business development and organizational strategy - along with successful enabling policy - in the clean energy economy.
- M.E.M., Energy & Environmental Policy
Duke University, Nicholas School
- B.A., Cognitive & Social Sciences
University of California, Berkeley
- U.S. Navy (veteran)
- Renewable Energy Professional, Association of Energy Engineers (REP), pending
- Business Energy Professional (BEP), Association of Energy Engineers, 2013
- LEED GA, U.S. Green Building Council, 2009
- Strategic Business Development, University of Chicago GSB, 1999
- Mainstreaming Distributed Residential Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Adoption in the United States: Drivers, Timing and the Private Sector. Duke Space, 2012. http://hdl.handle.net/10161/5351
- State Renewable Portfolio Standards in the United States: A Review of Policy Features & Program Designs with Implications for a Federal Renewable Portfolio Standard. 2011. Available by request.