Recognizing that cars and light trucks contribute more than a quarter of Toronto’s greenhouse gas emissions and smog-causing pollution, Project Get Ready Toronto’s champion organization, the Toronto Atmospheric Fund (TAF), has dedicatied its resources to sustainable transportation options, including electric vehicles. In 2010, TAF launched the FleetWise EV300 program, providing innovative decision support tools for public and private fleets in the Greater Toronto Area to reduce their emissions by procuring, driving, charging, evaluating & promoting electric vehicles.
In addition to FleetWise EV300, the TAF has launched the following EV projects:
- The Toronto Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Pilot, designed to test the fuel economy and emissions performance of PHEV technology in public and private fleets
- A Hybrid Taxi Pilot to determine the business and environmental case for the adoption of hybrid taxi cabs in Toronto
- Development of a Green Vehicle Evaluation & Selection Tool by the City of Toronto Fleet Services to help monitor and evaluate the performance of low-emission vehicles and assist with purchasing policies and decisions
- Support to Pollution Probe, a local ENGO, to work with experts and stakeholders to identify the main elements that would comprise an effective Electric Mobility Master Plan for the City of Toronto
- TAF is actively participating in federal, provincial and municipal consultations on EVs, smart grid applications and green fleet planning