Phil Keuhn is a Sr. Associate on RMI’s Buildings Practice with six years of experience in energy auditing, retro-commissioning, energy modeling, and HVAC design. Phil joined RMI in August 2013.
Phil brings hands-on experience in energy auditing and retro-commissioning of existing buildings to RMI’s Buildings Practice. Phil’s experience spans multiple building types such as hospitals, multi-family residential, retail, office, airports, and industrial. Previously, Phil worked at Sieben Energy Associates in Chicago as a senior engineer and Director of Energy Efficiency. During this time, Phil had the privilege of working on many of Chicago’s high-rise buildings and large commercial facilities including the 4.2 million square foot Merchandise Mart and O’Hare International Airport.
Prior to moving into the building industry, Phil's career experiences included precision machining and micro-machining, project management, trade show exhibit sustainability, auto collision repair, classes in TIG welding, and becoming a licensed EMT.
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri ‐ Columbia, 2001
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED® AP Operations + Maintenance
- Association of Energy Engineers, Certified Energy Manager®
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
Select Publications & Presentations
- “How Do You Measure Success When the Goalposts Keep Moving? Normalizing Energy Consumption over Time”, 2013 Chicago Committee on High Rise Buildings Spring Seminar, June 2013, Speaker.
- “Energy Conservation through Ongoing Commissioning”, Dr. Yogesh Mardikar & Philip Keuhn, Energy Engineering Journal of the AEE, Volume 110 Number 3, 2013.
- “The Energy Doctor is In”, Jerry Burin & Phil Keuhn, Facility Management Journal, November/December 2012.
- ASHRAE Illinois Chapter Engineering Excellence Technology Awards, 2011 & 2012.
- “EMP Energy Management Guideline”, AABC Commissioning Group, 2012, Contributor.
- “Sustainable Operations in Healthcare: an Energy Management Program”, Metropolitan Chicago Healthcare Council website, Todd Edwards & Phil Keuhn, 2010, White Paper.