As an active member of the project design team, RMI serves as a catalyst for innovation to push beyond business-as-usual to the next generation of buildings; we invite you to find out more about our Life Cycle Costs Training modules below.
Find out more about our successes in the past, how we can help you today, and about our other training classes and seminars offered in Deep Energy Retrofits and Building Energy Modeling.
Life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) can be a highly effective decision making tool for retrofit projects. LCCA goes beyond simple payback projections by evaluating the longer-term economics of efficiency. LCCA considers the net present value of capital expenditures with a variety of other cash flows such as utility cost savings, ongoing maintenance and replacement cost savings, and rebates and incentives. A more sophisticated LCCA will account for the uncertainty around energy prices, carbon taxes, capital costs and other sources of risk. Ultimately, an LCCA can help produce a comprehensive and defensible business case for implementing deep energy retrofits, fine-tuned to address the concerns of relevant decision makers.
LCCA can be a challenging process. To properly inform deep energy retrofits and integrative design, analysts must gather a vast amount of data from different sources throughout the design process, determine and calculate appropriate baselines, and perform iterative evaluations of individual and bundles of efficiency measures. Analysts also need to synthesize the results into a compelling business case.
RMI’s workshop is designed to help participants understand and execute LCCA, using strategies to make the process faster and easier. This workshop will provide participants with an understanding of important concepts, methods and tools for executing the analyses including:
- An understanding of the inputs required for LCCA, and recommendations for timing and coordinating data gathering throughout the design process
- Instruction on establishing a proper baseline, discounting cash flows, and selecting the appropriate software tools
- Guidance on interpreting and synthesizing the outputs from LCCA
RMI will also provide hands on training for its free software tool LCCAid, an Excel tool designed to streamline the LCCA process and allow for the evaluation of integrated bundles of efficiency measures.
- Understand and articulate the advantages of LCCA as compared to simple payback analysis
- Understand the concepts and calculations behind LCCA
- Understand what data is required for LCCA, and where and when to collect that data
- Master the use of RMI’s free LCCAid tool
- Understand how to make a compelling business case for energy efficiency through LCCA
- Length of Workshop - two to four hours
Length of Workshop
The Deep Energy Retrofit Life Cycle Cost Training Workshop is available as a two- to four-hour session, depending on your needs and requirements.
Contact us to inquire about working with RMI on its RetroFit initiative or to speak to an expert about our work.