Most of RMI's Snowmass employees work at an office building located about a mile away from Amory's private residence. Located on the Windstar Land Conservancy, a 957-acre parcel of open space whose permanent protection the Institute secured in 1996, the building has been gradually upgraded over the years, although the former ranch house's environmental performance is inherently limited.
Other facilities include two staff housing buildings adjacent to the headquarters and a third located less than a mile away.
For first-hand information about RMI, groups may tour this headquarters building. Please fill out our Contact form to submit an inquiry.
Rocky Mountain Institute
2317 Snowmass Creek Road
Snowmass, CO 81654
P: (970) 927-3851
F: (970) 927-3420
- From Glenwood Springs (Interstate Highway 70):
- Drive east (upvalley) on Highway 82 for 24 miles in the direction of Aspen. About 3.5 miles east of Basalt’s main intersection/traffic light, turn right at the traffic light onto Snowmass Creek Road. (A Conoco station is located on the SE corner of Highway 82 and Snowmass Creek Road; a large parking lot is on the SW corner.)
- Continue south on Snowmass Creek Road to a T-junction, about 1.8 miles
- Turn left at the T-junction. (You will still be on Snowmass Creek Road nonetheless.)
- Continue 0.45 mile past a fire station to the third driveway on your right. Turn right into that driveway. (Signs for the Conservancy and RMI and two large cottonwood trees mark the entrance.)
- Continue 0.15 mile through the notch in the ridge, until the road dead-ends into a parking lot. The Windstar building is at the far end. Maps of the land are available in the foyer. RMI Reception is located at the very end of the long hallway; go through the last door on the right.
(Download a printable PDF map)