At RMI we believe strongly in transforming global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. But we realize that the energy we use and the miles we travel to accomplish that goal have an impact on the environment, which is why we make efforts to “walk the talk” on environmental sustainability. The following initiatives help us minimize our carbon impact.
- Renewable Electricity: 100 percent of RMI’s electricity comes from wind power, purchased through Xcel Energy’s Windsource Program in Boulder, and Holy Cross Energy’s Wind Power Pioneer Program in Old Snowmass.
- Efficient Lighting: We use highly efficient LED lights throughout our building in Boulder. We also make use of daylighting in both of our properties, including sun-tracking tubes throughout the Boulder building.
- Energy Star Building: The Boulder building is currently Energy Star Certified, meaning that it performs better than at least 75 percent of similar buildings nationwide.
- Innovation Center: We will soon be relocating our Old Snowmass office to a new facility, the RMI Innovation Center, on a site located near Basalt’s historic downtown. The building will be a physical manifestation of our work and values, maximizing energy and resource efficiency while creating a structure that complements and strengthens the local community and serves as a demonstration site for the industry. Our goal is to create a facility that moves beyond efficiency and net zero to a restorative building, contributing positively in all aspects of energy, water, transportation, materials and resource use.
- Bus travel: RMI employees receive a free bus pass in both Boulder and Old Snowmass in order to cut down on vehicle miles.
- Carpooling: In Old Snowmass, employees use an electric Nissan LEAF to carpool from the bus stop to the office, and for meetings and errands throughout the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Bicycle Commuting: Showers are available at both offices to encourage the use of bicycle commuting. There are bicycle racks and a locked area for bicycles. For people who do drive to the office, the Boulder office has bicycles available for use during workdays, so employees do not have to drive to locations off-site.
- Telecommuting: Telecommuting is encouraged when possible to lower vehicle miles traveled.
- Video Conferencing: We make extensive use of video conferencing. Having offices in two locations could mean a lot of travel, but through video conferencing we hold meetings, trainings, and events between offices saving time, fuel, and minimizing carbon emissions.
- EV Charging Stations: Both locations have EV charging stations, and many employees have electric or hybrid cars.
- Free Lunch: Each office has a kitchen, and lunch is provided so that employees do not have to drive off-site during the lunch hour.
- Offsetting Carbon: We purchase carbon offsets through TerraPass to offset all of our international and domestic air travel as well as automobile travel for employees between the two offices.
- Recycling: We recycle all glass, aluminum, plastic, cardboard, and office paper that is used through local recycling services.
- Composting: We compost our food scraps and compostable paper items with Eco-Cycle in Boulder.
Purchased Goods and Services
- Green Printing Services: All of our paper is FSC certified and/or recycled, and all of our printed materials are printed with soy-based inks. We use digital media when possible to reduce our impact.
- Local and Organic Food: RMI believes in supporting the local economy. We purchase a weekly share in a community supported agriculture (CSA) program that provides us with locally grown organic fruits and vegetables year-round.
- Green Cleaning Products: We use non-toxic plant derived cleaning products for our offices, along with 100 percent recycled and dye-free paper towels and toilet paper.