At RMI we believe strongly in transforming global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. But we realize that the energy we use and the miles we travel to accomplish that goal have an impact on the environment, which is why we make efforts to “walk the talk” on environmental sustainability. The following initiatives help us minimize our carbon impact.
- Renewable Electricity: 100% of the electricity in RMI's Colorado offices comes from renewable energy. The Boulder office is powered by wind power, purchased through Xcel Energy’s Windsource Program. The Basalt office is powered by an 83 kW solar photovoltaic system.
- Efficient Lighting: We use highly efficient LED lights throughout our buildings in Boulder and Basalt. We also make use of daylighting in both of our Colorado properties, including sun-tracking tubes throughout the Boulder building.
- Energy Star Building: The Boulder building is currently Energy Star Certified, meaning that it performs better than at least 75 percent of similar buildings nationwide.
- Innovation Center: The RMI Innovation Center, near Basalt’s historic downtown, is a physical manifestation of our work and values, maximizing energy and resource efficiency while creating a structure that complements and strengthens the local community and serves as a demonstration site for the industry. It is net zero energy and net zero water. But even more, it moves beyond efficiency and net zero to a restorative building, contributing positively in all aspects of energy, water, transportation, materials, and resource use.
- Bus travel: RMI employees receive a free bus pass in both Boulder and Basalt in order to cut down on vehicle miles.
- Bicycle Commuting: Showers are available at both offices to encourage the use of bicycle commuting. There are bicycle racks and a locked area for bicycles. For people who do drive to the office, the Boulder office has bicycles available for use during workdays, so employees do not have to drive to locations off-site. A bike share station (We-cycle) in front of the Basalt office provides workday errand transportation and commuting to and from the bus stop.
- Telecommuting: Telecommuting is encouraged when possible to lower vehicle miles traveled.
- Video Conferencing: We make extensive use of video conferencing. Having offices in five locations could mean a lot of travel, but through video conferencing we hold meetings, trainings, and events between offices saving time, fuel, and minimizing carbon emissions.
- EV Charging Stations: Both Colorado locations have EV charging stations, and many employees have electric or hybrid cars.
- Free Lunch: Each office has a kitchen, and lunch is provided so that employees do not have to drive off-site during the lunch hour.
- Offsetting Carbon: We purchase carbon offsets through TerraPass to offset all of our international and domestic air travel as well as automobile travel for employees between the two offices.
- Recycling: We recycle all glass, aluminum, plastic, cardboard, and office paper that is used in all of our offices through local recycling services.
- Composting: We compost our food scraps and compostable paper items in both Boulder and Basalt.
Purchased Goods and Services
- Green Printing Services: All of our paper is FSC certified and/or recycled, and all of our printed materials are printed with soy-based inks. We use digital media when possible to reduce our impact.
- Local and Organic Food: RMI believes in supporting the local economy. We purchase a weekly share in a community supported agriculture (CSA) program that provides us with locally grown organic fruits and vegetables year-round.
- Green Cleaning Products: We use non-toxic plant derived cleaning products for our offices, along with 100 percent recycled and dye-free paper towels and toilet paper.