Transitioning buildings toward net-zero energy makes buildings healthier and more comfortable, and smart approaches to retrofitting and new construction can create an economic boon for the city.
The Carbon-Free City Handbook: Industry
Industry is responsible for 7% of carbon emissions in major cities. Solutions exist that can enable cities to cut these emissions, while also promoting business and manufacturing.
Action 17: Clean Industrial Heat
Develop industrial programs that reduce emissions from process heat loads. This can be accomplished many ways, including conversion to low-carbon fuels, making process heat generation more efficient, repairing heat-distribution infrastructure, and making productive use of waste heat.
- Schlomann, Barbara, Matthias Reuter, Sohaib Tariq, Katharina Wohlfarth, Bruno Lapillonne, and Karine Pollier. Energy Efficiency Trends and Policies In Industry. Intelligent Energy Europe Progamme of the European Union, 2015.
Features a number of industrial energy efficiency policies in the EU, including incentives for industrial processes
- Cornell Center for the Environment, Work and Environment Initiative. Handbook on Codes, Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions for Eco-Industrial Parks.
Includes some draft language used in codes and covenants to encourage clean district heating
- Jinhua City Environmental Protection Bureau. “金华市环境保护局2016年工作总结 和2017年工作思路 (English Translation: Jinhua City Environmental Protection Agency in 2016 summary of work and 2017 work ideas).”
- Zhejiang Online – Qianjiang Evening News. “浙江金华启动“煤改气”逐步淘汰高污染锅炉 政府给补助 (English Translation: Zhejiang Jinhua start “coal to gas” phase-out of high-pollution boiler government subsidies).”
Action 18: Efficient Motors
Develop a program to replace inefficient motors with high-efficiency models through codes, standards, rebates, incentives, audit programs, and other strategies.
Includes documents, tools, and processes related to industrial motor audits and improvements
- U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. “2014-05-08 Issuance: Energy Conservation Standards for Commercial and Industrial Electric Motors; Final Rule.”
Includes energy conservation standards for commercial and industrial electric motors
- Werle, Rita, Conrad U. Brunner, and Rolf Tieben (Impact Energy Inc., Switzerland). Swiss motor efficiency program EASY: results 2010 – 2014. ACEEE, 2015.
Action 19: Operator Training
Develop a voluntary energy management program that recognizes industry for committing to energy management systems, energy audits, and continual energy reductions in their facilities, which will build local capacity for energy managers. Provide resources, including training, for energy management personnel to achieve continuous improvement.
- Thomas, Stefan, et al. Energy Efficiency Policies in Europe: Case Study. Large Industry Energy Network – Ireland.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. “Superior Energy Performance.”
SEAI’s Large Industry Energy Network leverages collaboration, replication, and innovation. Whether the primary motivation is competitiveness or sustainability, participating companies have consistently exceeded their goals and redoubled their efforts.
‐Jim Gannon, CEO, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI)
Download the Handbook
GET MORE ACTION DOCS
BROWSE ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS BY SECTOR
Carbon-free cities can provide more efficient and economic options that are tailored to different transportation needs—with no emissions—and that create vibrant urban spaces.
Leading cities are transforming electricity generation to carbon-free renewable energy by first committing to bold 100% renewable energy targets, then implementing comprehensive action plans.
Cities can shift the flow and management of their biological resources to reduce emissions, capture carbon, and provide numerous other benefits to a city.
Cities have an important role to play creating or expanding financing options and improving access to such financing.
Engage with Us
City leaders and sustainability officers: take action today to put your city on a pathway to zero-carbon.